So we decided to try Amtrak. It is inexpensive (about $60 which is less than I spend on gas to get there and back) and seemed like the perfect solution to my traveling dilemma. I had never taken a real train before so I had envisioned Hollywood-like scenes of beautiful platforms and dramatic goodbyes...
So the day to take the train came. I was excited and packed and ready and... the train was late. Not just a little late- 3 hours late. So that really threw off the day. We got stuck in traffic getting to the station and it was a frantic dash to get there. We got to the Fort Worth station and had to wait in line for tickets since the reservation kiosk was out of order. We ended up having to wait about 45 minutes inside the train station for the train- oh and the train station has no AC and was filled with unhappy people waiting for a late train. The fantasy vision I had of taking a train was quickly fading...
When our train finally arrived we had to drag our luggage about a quarter mile out to where the train was. If you know me, you know Jason didn't marry me because of my keen ability to pack conservatively. Even with my idea of the "essentials" (one rolling bag, the car seat, a bag of fun stuff for the train ride, an insulated snack bag, a small diaper bag and my purse) it was way too much for me to handle alone- much less worry about carrying Lauren. Luckily, Jason was there to help us get on the train.
So we trek out to the train with all our stuff. Don't forget it is July...in Texas...at 5 pm. It was HOT! We walk out on the platform where the conductor is and he is shouting at us to get in a straighter line. I felt like I was in kindergarten. And I was melting in the heat. Lauren was sticking to me, we were both sweating. So we stood in our "straight" line for about 10 minutes while they checked our tickets and told us what car to get into.
I really had no idea that so many people took the train as a form of transportation. I was worried we'd run into a bunch of sketchy, transient people on board. But actually I would say about half the people were an older demographic who probably can't drive or don't enjoy traveling long distances by car. There were a lot of younger "kids" (15-25) some of who were servicemen/women. No one looked homeless though. The rest of the passengers were families traveling together. There were quite a few families and we all gave each other the same sympathetic looks.
This is what our train looked like


I kept waiting for the beverage service cart to go through, but it never came...There are also no seatbelts, which would have come in handy!! Actually the seats are fairly comfortable with a lot of leg room, they recline and have foot rests. It was nice that I could get up and walk around and the various cars would have been enjoyable without trying to keep Lauren under control. I enjoyed getting to use my phone and text/email the whole trip. I avoided getting stuck in any traffic too. Upon arrival at the Taylor station I was pretty indifferent about taking the train again- there were some pros, but also some cons...
The way home was so much easier. There was still the mad dash to get to the station. In fact, the train passed us on the highway and my mom raced it to the station. Go mom! Another disadvantage of taking a train is that if you miss it, you have to wait until the next day to catch the next one, so I didn't want to miss it!
We made it to the train station just as it pulled in and Caitlin and my mom were able to help me get all my luggage on! The Taylor stop isn't a station, so it was so much easier. We just showed them my ticket and got on- no long walk, no "straight" lines. Lauren and I had a much more relaxing trip and watched DVDs on the way home. The restlessness set in the last 45 minutes, so it was much more manageable than the hours of it on the way down. I think we were both tired so I was happy for the movie time!
My thought was that being on a train would be easier than on a plane since Lauren could get up and move around and we would have more room. However, I think it actually made it more difficult since we could move around that is all she wanted to do- and in places that weren't safe or allowed. There is no security checks, ID verifications or really anything for that matter. They even let visitors on the train at the stops.
so the final verdict? I am not really sure. It was sure nice to sit and relax on the way back today, never worrying about traffic or Lauren getting tired of her car seat. However the debacle of getting on the train, carrying luggage and constantly apologizing to people for Lauren being in their way or being loud got tiring! If the choice was between a plane or the train, I think I would rather take a plane- just for the time factor while traveling. Of course if I was traveling alone the train might really be a nice, relaxing alternative to a long drive. Then again, the sound of a long drive alone is kind of appealing!

No comments:
Post a Comment